Nukeproof Reactor 290 Expert Alloy Bike (NX Eagle) 2020
- Size Guide
- Additional information
- Reviews (0)
Nukeproof Reactor 290 Expert Alloy Bike (NX Eagle)
The Reactor Expert is inspired by Nukeproof’s original Reactor trail bike from 1996, however, aside from the name this bike has come a long way since then in terms of design and performance. Now featuring a highly advanced trail-focused platform intended for aggressive trail descending a to efficiently climb the largest mountains, it’s also kitted out with some of the best trail-ready components on the market.
Ultra-Strong and Low Weight with Reactive Suspension Performance
The all-new Reactor is designed to be at home on the most technical climbs as it is on technical descents, as it guides you from trail to trail with ease. Its trail-sessioning success is thanks to its hydro-formed tube set and carbon seat stays, which ensures consistent steering stability and traction with a low unsprung weight. This low weight also makes its suspension performance as active as possible to smooth out the roughest terrain and maintain speed and control anywhere on the mountain.
SRAM NX Eagle 1×12 Drivetrain and RockShox Suspension
With only latest drivetrain and suspension technology in its arsenal and an aftermarket-quality finishing kit from Nukeproof from complete the build, this rowdy-trail tamer helps you dominate even the most demanding routes. This efficient ascender and stylish gravity-descender is equipped with a SRAM NX Eagle drivetrain, Nukeproof’s “flip-chip” adjustable suspension geometry, RockShox Pike suspension forks with the Charger damper and a Super Deluxe rear shock.
DT Swiss M1900 Wheels, Maxxis DH Tyres and SRAM Code Brakes
This outstanding ride rolls with vigorous pace aboard DT Swiss M1900 Spline wheels wrapped in DH-worthy Maxxis tyres and is armed with SRAM Guide brakes to easily rein in speed on the most ferocious downhill blasts. Born to shred steep and fast trails with confidence-inspiring boldness, this playful ride boosts across roots, gaps and ruts while its efficient pedalling platform soars you back to the top for another run.
- Frame: Nukeproof Reactor 290 Alloy, 130mm Travel, custom triple butted hydro-formed tube set for front triangle and chain stays, UD woven carbon fibre Seat stays, internal cable routing, custom tuned rear shock, internal dropper seatpost cable routing, Enduro bearings, threaded bottom bracket, boost 148mm rear axle spacing, 3D contoured frame protection
- Fork: RockShox Pike Select Charger RC 140mm, 51mm Offset, BOOST, Debonair, Diffusion Black
- Shock: RockShox Super Deluxe Select+ RT, Custom ML 380 tune, 210x50mm, Bearing End (Comes with 1x bottomless token fitted so you have them if needed.)
- Front Wheel: WTB Speed Terra 29″, ST Light i30 TCS 2.0 Rim / 32h, 110x15mm
- Rear Wheel: WTB Speed Terra 29″, ST Light i30 TCS 2.0 Rim / 32h, Shimano Driver, 148x12mm
- Tyres: Front: Maxxis Assegai 29”x2.5 WT 3C MaxxTerra/EXO+/TR, Rear: Maxxis Minion DHR II 29”x2.4 WT 3C MaxxTerra/EXO+/TR
- Crankset: SRAM NX Eagle 12-Speed, 170mm, 30T, B148, DUB
- Shifter: SRAM NX Eagle 12-Speed
- Rear Derailleur: SRAM NX Eagle 12-Speed
- Chain: SRAM NX Eagle 12-Speed
- Cassette: SRAM NX Eagle 12-Speed, CS PG1230 EAGLE 11-50T
- Brakes: SRAM Guide RE
- Front Rotor: SRAM Centreline, 200mm
- Rear Rotor: SRAM Centreline, 180mm
- Handlebars: Nukeproof Horizon 25mm Rise, Width – S780mm, M780mm, L800mm, XL800mm)
- Stem: Nukeproof Neutron AM, 45mm, black
- Saddle: Nukeproof Horizon SL, grey
- Seatpost: Brand X Ascend internal, 31.6mm; S:125mm drop; M/L:150mm drop; XL: 170mm Drop
- Headset: Nukeproof, 44-56 IITS
- Grips: Nukeproof Sam Hill Signature
- Flip Chip Adjustable Suspension Geometry: All models of the Reactor feature a “flip-chip”, so that the bike geometry can be easily adjusted from “Trail” to “Rail” mode without having to custom tune your suspension setup. The Trail setting is best suited for pumping and carving your rhythm and style into the mountainside and still caters for rides who love the climb as much as the descent. On the other hand, the Rail setting turns the Reactor into an adrenaline-fuelled gravity tamer. Dropping the bottom bracket height by 6mm and slackening the head angle by half a degree, these changes give this Reactor greater stability and control when the trail leans downhill towards vertical.
- Nukeproof 4-Bar Horst Linkage Suspension Design: Complimenting a low overall frame weight, this Reactor Expert-ride features a 4-bar horst linkage to drive its suspension performance. Nukeproof engineers optimised its setup to give increased anti-squat when you’re riding in the climbing gears and lower anti-squat in the attacking-gears when cranking speed on the descents. This advanced suspension performance provides this 29er with immense climbing prowess that also becomes a trail hooligan on the way back down the mountain. Also, this combination of low anti-squat and progressive suspension rate offers phenomenal small bump compliance to remove even the smallest morsel of trail chatter, great mid stroke support for cornering and rhythm sections and sublime end stroke progression for aggressive riding and descending. Nukeproof’s extensive testing has found that this bike’s anti-rise performance gives the Reactor beneficial suspension-squat when braking hard to maintain your riding stability and puts the ideal amount of pressure upon your tyres for immense traction.
When you order a bike, one of our trained mechanics will carefully prepare and pack your bike for shipping. Upon delivery, the assembly is simple and all necessary tools are conveniently included in the box.
Depending on the delivery service and destination, bikes will either be delivered in a large or a small box. Below is a guide as to how your bike will arrive:
- All bikes for delivery within the UK and Republic of Ireland will be delivered in a large box, except for kids’ bikes and BMX bikes, which are always delivered in manufacturer’s boxes.
- All bikes for delivery within the EU on a standard service will be delivered in a large box. If an express delivery option is chosen, your bike will be packed into a small box. Again, the exception is kids’ bikes and BMX bikes, which are always delivered in manufacturer’s boxes.
- All bikes for worldwide delivery outside the EU will be delivered in small boxes.
This video demonstrates assembly from a SMALL BOX.
This video demonstrates assembly from a LARGE BOX.
Buy Nukeproof Bikes from Chain Reaction Cycles, the World’s Largest Online Bike Store.
- Colour: Military Green
- Frame Size: L, XL, M
- Wheel Size: 29″
- Gender: Unisex
- Speed: 12 Speed
- Material: Aluminium
- Fork Travel: 140mm
- Rear Travel: 130mm
Bike Sizing Guide
Choosing the bike size depends on the type of bike, your height, your riding style, and your preference. A correct fitting bike will be more comfortable, more efficient and more fun to ride. This bike size guide gives our customers general advice on choosing the right size. It is a guide only and we always recommend visiting one of our stores or contacting one of our experts from our contact us page.
To get started, think about your style of riding, measure your height and use the links above for sizing on relevant bike types.
Measure your height
To find the correct sized bike you will need to measure your height and your inside leg. For your height, stand against a wall and mark the wall with a pencil so it's level with the top of your head. Then measure from the ground up to the mark (having someone to help might make this easier). For your inside leg measurement, stand against a wall and using a book hold it in between your legs into your groin and make sure it's flat against the wall. Measure the height from the book to the floor. (Again it might be easier to get a friend to help). If your height is on the cusp of the size range, your reach is often the deciding factor in which size to go for. To find out if you have short or long reach you will need to measure your ape index. This is your arm span minus your height. If you have a positive ape index then go for the larger size, or if you have a negative ape index go for a smaller size.
The type of bike
What type of bike you choose will affect the bike size you buy. The type or style of riding that you do will also affect which size you need. For example a mountain biker that wants to ride more aggressively and would like a more manoeuvrable bike may prefer a size smaller than they would normally take. Likewise a cross country racer that is looking for a flatter and speedier mountain bike may prefer a size larger than they would normally take. There is no definitive right or wrong size, it all comes down to personal preference and what feels comfortable. The different types of bikes are all explained within our buying guides.
How are bikes measured?
Bikes are measured by their seat tube length. This measurement is normally from the centre of the bottom bracket (BB) or the centre of the bolt that attached the crank arms. This differs by brand, some measure to the top of where the top tube meets the seat tube, or even the centre of the top tube. Mountain bikes are either measured in inches or descriptive sizes (small, medium etc). Road bikes are in centimetres or descriptive sizes where as Hybrid bikes can be any one of the three. Bikes also get longer as they go up in size (relative to the frame size) but different brands can be inherently longer or shorter than others.
Stand over height
Stand over height is how tall the frame is from the ground. Stand over height measurements are to the top of the top-tube. Ideally you want at least 2cm of clearance between you and the frame. In theory your stand over height is your leg measurement minus 2cm. It it worth measuring your inside leg with your shoes on so you can establish your stand over height. Should you need to jump off the saddle quickly, the clearance between you and the frame will prevent any injuries.
This handy chart should show you the right size of MTB you need based on your height. Measure your height accurately and check the manufacturer’s measurements too. You can also visit us in store to speak to an experienced member of staff.
|Rider Height||Suggested Mountain Frame Size|
|Feet & Inches||Centimetres||Frame Size (inches)||Frame Size (cm)||Frame Size|
|4'10" - 5'2"||148cm - 158cm||13" - 14"||33 - 37||View all X-Small Bikes|
|5'2" - 5'6"||158cm - 168cm||15" - 16"||38 - 42||View all Small Bikes|
|5'6" - 5' 10"||168cm - 178cm||17" - 18"||43 - 47||View all Medium Bikes|
|5'10" - 6'1"||178cm - 185cm||19" - 20"||48 - 52||View all Large Bikes|
|6'1" - 6'4"||185cm - 193cm||21" - 22"||53 - 57||View all X-Large Bikes|
|6'4" - 6'6"||193cm - 198cm||23" - 24"||58 - 61||View all XX-Large Bikes|
This handy chart should show you the right size of road bike you need based on your height. Measure your height accurately and always check the manufacturer’s measurements too. You can also visit us in store to speak to an experienced member of staff.
|Rider Height||Suggested Road Bike Size|
|Feet & Inches||Centimetres||Frame Size (cm)|
|4'10" - 5'0"||148cm - 152cm||XX-Small (47cm - 48cm)||View all XX-Small Road Bikes|
|5'0" - 5'3"||152cm - 160cm||X-Small (49cm - 50cm)||View all X-Small Road Bikes|
|5'3" - 5'6"||160cm - 168cm||Small (51cm - 53cm)||View all Small Road Bikes|
|5'6" - 5'9"||168cm - 175cm||Medium (54cm - 55cm)||View all Medium Road Bikes|
|5'9" - 6'0"||175cm - 183cm||Large (56cm - 58cm)||View all Large Road Bikes|
|6'0" - 6'3"||183cm - 191cm||X-Large (58cm - 60cm)||View all X-Large Road Bikes|
|6'3" - 6'6"||191cm - 198cm||XX-Large (61cm - 63cm)||View all XX-Large Road Bikes|
XS, S, M, L, XL, XXL